Traveling to the EU from the UK with your Pet, Post-Brexit

On January 1st, 2021, most of the rules that have been in place since the UK entered the EU, will be changed. It applies to pets from the UK entering into the EU territory. Below you will find the information provided by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs of the UK regarding the changes that will take place and what you will need to travel with your pet in the new-year.

New rules as of January 2021

It has been confirmed that the UK is not part of the EU anymore. So that everyone could adapt to the changes, there has been a transition period where most of the rules that existed between the EU and the UK remained valid. However, on December 31st of 2020, this period will end, and new rules will have to be applied in all fields, including travel restrictions regarding your pet. The method below is applicable for Wales, England, and Scotland. The procedure should be followed as is, at least until new announcements are made, which could come at any time before January 1st, 2021.

UK’s New Status and Procedures for Pets Travelling to the EU

When the clock strikes midnight on December 31st of this year, cats, dogs and ferrets (including assistance dogs) from the UK, will need to have followed the procedures below in order to enter into the EU. These procedures are applied to what the EU considers a “third country”, which is how the UK will be regarded as, from next January. For now, it is considered as unlisted, but it might enter Part 1 or Part 2 of the EU program, which could reduce the restrictions in the future. This all depends on the result of the negotiations. For now, these are the procedures to follow:

Your dog, cat or ferret has to be microchipped.

Your dog, cat or ferret must be vaccinated against rabies.

Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its primary rabies vaccination. This blood sample will then be sent to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory. If the test is fine, you will have to wait 3 months from its date before you can travel to the EU.

You need to get an animal health certificate (AHC).

You need to take a copy of the test results with you, of the blood sample, to enter into the EU (the certificate AHC will indicate the date when the test was done.)

Your pet must visit a vet, no more than 10 days before traveling, to get the AHC.

For more information on the subject, find an official vet. Most veterinary practices will have one in their team.


Steve C.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top